Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Favorite Books

I have always loved reading.  Some of my very favorite memories are sitting on the couch with Mom, listening to her read a picture book.  As I grew up, we even had to have a rule of no books at the table, because I would become so engrossed in some novel that I would try to read while eating.  I love good book suggestions, and maybe you do too.  Here are a few of the best.

  • Cry, the Beloved Country--Wow, this book is overwhelmingly beautiful.  My favorite unequivocally.  A wholesome book that straddles the line between poetry and prose.  Thoughts unblemished by translation to words.  Amazing.

  • Anne of Green Gables series--I gobbled these books up!  From about 12  to 14 I went through a ravenous reading stage, devouring L. M. Montgomery and Louisa May Alcott books.  The Anne of Green Gables books are famous for a reason: they are some of the best at transporting you to a new world.  In Anne, you will make a new friend for life.  I cried and was depressed for several days after finishing the last book in the series, because it really felt like I had lost a friend.  I had watched a life play out before me, and all of a sudden it was over.  It was worth it.

  • Jane Eyre--This list could not be complete without my beloved Jane Eyre.  I've read this book twice, and it could easily stand up to a third reading.  Jane Eyre is another one of those "life" books.  An epic in the best sense of the word.  I relate to Jane in so many ways, which is one reason I love the book.  The plot is intricate, and certainly holds its own as well.  Jane is admirable, but human, and her love is real.  The mystery is intriguing, the romance is beautiful, the language exquisite.  Jane Eyre has it all.
There are so many wonderful books, and I will tell you about some more of them in a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment